Wednesday, September 17, 2008

Great Drill, Great Coach

I'm not talking about me when I mention "Great Coach" in the title of this post. I'm referring to my friend Chip. While some may not think of him as great, he certainly is plugged into the sport of soccer and loves working with the boys we coach.

Yesterday in the midst of my muddled state of mind, Chip picked up the usual slack and worked with our U9B team. The ending drill was very effective, so much so that I stole it and used it for my U13B with great success.

The drill starts with two "striker" placed lines facing the goal and one center line facing the opposite direction. The ball is started from the backfield into the center line where the center drops it back and peels out either left or right. The wide swing creates space to dribble where upon approach to the goal the two strikers receive a cross from the outside and attempt to one-touch the ball into the goal.

The effectiveness of the drill is in the quick pace, the timing of the strike on goal, the pass out to the sides and the accuracy of all passes. The drill can be varied through adding defensive players but for the sake of simplicity and timing was run without.

Give it a try and tell me what works well for you!

No comments: