Thursday, July 3, 2008

Knee Injury Impetus for Temporary Retirement

Yep, you correctly read the title. I'm going into a temporary retirement. What exactly is a temporary retirement? Well, it's more like an indefinite hiatus. I reserve the right to return to the game but may not do so immediately.

Why would I give up playing a sport that I love, look forward to each day, and actively participate with my own kids? That's a hard question to answer. The bottom line is this. I'm old and am prone to injuries. OK, I admitted it, finally. Well, I'm not that old and there are certainly other players on my team and in the league that are certainly older. But honestly, I don't like pain and love being healthy. When I'm healthy, I feel uninhibited. Today, inhibition is all I feel.

Yesterday I saw my ortho and while I did sustain a contusion on the upper tibia and a tear on the the lateral meniscus, he said I should be playing in another season, if I chose to. Well, at this time, my choice is to sit it out and enjoy life in other ways.

What does this mean for the blog? Nothing. I'll still write about my kids and their adventures in soccer. I'll still write about FC Dallas games I get to attend. I'll still write about serving on the KSA board. But I'll be fairly silent as to my own adventures in soccer. And quite honestly, it makes me a bit sad to think about giving it up.

That said, here's to an early retirement. Anyone want to take a guess as to how long it will last?

No comments: