Saturday, June 21, 2008

Volunteering at KSA for Fall Registration

It's that time again; fall 2008 registration is upon us and as a Board Member I'm currently volunteering a few hours this morning to help shuffle people through registration.

Last year our association contracted with a firm to take the registration process online and let's say it was a little painful for the first 2 online events. The 3rd started out even more painful but things seem to have settled down now that we're out of the beta period. Today's registration, in the office, is merely for those that don't have access to the Internet, have misunderstood how to register online, need a little hand holding through the process, or need to sign release forms.

Volunteering for a non-profit organization has been interesting as I get a peek behind the scenes of how an organization that consistently registers 2500 - 3200 players functions. Everything from the financials, the politics, the volunteerism, and the perks is disclosed in board meetings and exhibited on the fields in some form or fashion. But the spirit of volunteerism is at the heart of the organization. While it's not easy for some to volunteer their time, they make the effort because they believe in the organization, they love the sport, they have family involved in the association and they either want to give back or feel compelled to make a difference.

My motivation is covered by all of these. I feel it's import to serve. I desire to give back to an organization that helps foster good competitive and social relations for my children. I adore the sport, likely too much. I want to make a difference in the organization.

I was challenged by the then VP and now Pres of the association to volunteer my time on the board when I challenged the need to have Sunday games scheduled for any of my teams. A perk I receive on the Board is scheduling priority where none of my teams play Sundays and my schedule essentially comes first and has a great priority. What a difference this makes in how we associate ourselves in our community. We do not have to be apologetic for missing games that are scheduled on Sunday's and we extend this blessing to others by preserving their right to worship on the Sabbath.

I find it interesting as I've served over the last year to listen to many excuses from parents as they try to justify one need or another with zero interest in lending support to the association. "I just don't have time." "I have no experience." These are the most common. Well, I'll be coaching 4 teams, organizing 2-3 traveling teams among those, running practices, attending Board meetings, volunteering time to monitor on the fields and giving some time to referee a few games. Think I have time? Experience is another thing. While I'm not the most proficient coach, I give it a try and that makes the difference.

So for those of you that may contemplate volunteering at your organization or mine, I say give it a go. It's worth it from many different angles. But most importantly, the service is at the heart of the cause and what better reason is there?

No comments: