Monday, June 9, 2008

Barefoot Soccer @ Party Yields Sprained Foot

As I'm not in the health industry, I'm sure someone will correct my self-diagnosis as impossible or unlikely but I'll throw it out here regardless and wait for the clever retorts.

In celebration of an undefeated season, including end-of-season tournament, my oldest son's team got together at a neighborhood pool with an enticing soccer field adjacent to the pool. I knew I'd be playing and brought my gear along for the occasion. The players were having a great time in the pool and after they had their share of pizza I suggested playing over on the field.

As some didn't bring proper shoes for playing, I made the brilliant suggestion that we play barefooted so as to not crunch anyone's toes. This turned out to be my fatal flaw as my ankles and feet apparently aren't as stable without my shoes.

On the first play I touched the ball, my ankle rolled and I felt something pop and give in the upper potion of my foot, below the ankle and slightly off-center on the top of the foot. I limped for a few minutes and felt it starting to give way to pain but did that send off red flags in my stubborn head other than to slow me down a bit? No. I kept on playing and enjoyed my time with my kids and players.

The ride home was filled with embarrassment as I tried to logically explain to my wife my inner drive and ambition to have fun regardless of the pain. She thinks I'm a bit foolish. Of course at the time I was boasting of a broken bone which really sounds much more serious.

2 full days later, the top of my foot is slightly swollen and I can tell it will color into a nice brown/yellow bruise. My ankle is a bit soar up through my outer calf and stretching the tissue on the top of the foot is still tender. Walking is somewhat painful but the more I do it the better it feels. Yesterday's church services, while long, were actually tolerable (meaning the pain in the foot not the services or religious presenters ;) ).

So the question I keep asking myself is this: Will I be ready to play in Wed night's final season match up against the #2 team and will I contribute to our team's victory, sealing #1, or be a hindrance? The next 2 days will tell. Until then, ibuprofen, ice and elevation are my friends.

No comments: