Friday, June 6, 2008

Soccer: An American Game

Do most people realize that soccer (American's name for Football) is truly an American sport? OK, maybe not born in the USA but certainly a well accepted and loved sport. I've heard that youth soccer is the fastest growing sport in the US and as such many adults are clamoring to participate.

The love of the game is definitely felt in our family. With a tournament now behind us (last weekend), we enter into a period of summer isolation. Yet something competitive within me yearns to keep our kids going. My wife, the ever provider of balance and normalcy regarding sports and any obsession, is good to remind me that momentary breaks in aggressive training is healthy and wise. The sage has a point and from that I derive some peace in our summer long break from sports.

Yet...

I'm off to the Soccer Corner in a few to pick up a B-Day present for my youngest boy. Guess what it could be? I'll post pictures later tonight after he opens it.

No comments: